Knowing the correct Instagram video format means connecting and communicating better. And with so many video options, you’ve got to make the most of every single one.
There’s a lot more you can do on Instagram than you think. Features like Instagram stories, IGTV, and ads are a step up from just posts. It’s no wonder why Instagram is so popular these days! So what do you do when you want to upload a video on Instagram?
When you look at the Instagram video format, you’ll notice that influencers and brands are opting for visually-stimulating videos. So why shouldn’t you? This article will help you get the video format right and optimize it to make better.
You can take more interesting videos, improve video quality, and gain success. So let’s begin.
Where Can I Upload My Instagram Videos?
You can post a video as a post on Instagram. You can upload a video as Instagram stories. And you can upload a video on Instagram’s exclusive channel, IGTV. You will learn all the ways to upload a video, its format, and correct dimensions.
To upload a video as a post:
- Press the Plus sign at the center of the screen at the bottom.
- You can also record a video directly from Instagram’s camera. Press and hold the camera button to start recording. Lift your finger off the button once you’re done or to stop recording.
- Instagram allows 60 seconds for a single video to post. You can set a filter, add location, caption, and tags as you go along.
- If there are multiple video clips, you can post them together as well. Instagram allows you to edit each video after you’ve recorded it. You can trim and share the videos.
To upload a video on Instagram stories:
- Let’s say you want to upload a recorded video on Instagram stories. This video is already saved in your camera roll. Tap on Instagram and the top right Camera icon.
- Slide up to open the camera roll. Choose the video you want to upload. Instagram automatically cuts the video to 10-second frames.
So if your video exceeds 10 seconds, there will be multiple videos that will get posted at once.
Having said that, sometimes, the video just gets cut as soon as 10 seconds are up. You can use a trimmer app to divide your long video into smaller 10-second clips.
To upload a video on IGTV:
- Click on the IGTV icon on Instagram. If you don’t have IGTV, you need to create a channel first.
- Click on the Plus sign to add a new video. Add a caption, title, description before sharing.
- To upload from the web browser: follow the same steps as shown above.
- For IGTV, you can edit a 10-15 seconds preview of the video. This will show up on your follower’s feeds as a snippet. This will compel get them to view the full video on IGTV.
What’s the Correct Instagram Video Format?
Dealing with Instagram videos can be tricky. But it’s possible to cut through the mess and get straight to the point. That’s what I’m here for, aren’t I?
The standard video format for Instagram is MP4 or MOV. The most common is MP4, short for MPEG-4. The videos must be less than 60 seconds long. And the maximum width of a video should be 1080 pixels and the height 920.
You should also know that Instagram doesn’t rotate to landscape on your screen. So if you’re uploading a vertical video, make sure the orientation is correct. The same applies to the video’s thumbnail preview that’s the highlight of any Instagram video.
There are different formats for an Instagram video. Landscape, square, vertical, stories, and carousel. Here are your two cents for each of them!
#1 Instagram landscape video
Landscape videos make a scenic experience. It’s wider, has a deeper perspective, and works on smaller screens.
The resolution for landscape videos is 600 by 3015 pixels. The video formats that suit landscape videos are MOV or MP4. The maximum space to upload is 4GB.
#2 Instagram square video
Have something important to say? Squares videos offer a strong call-to-action. It looks engaging on both mobile and web browsers.
The ideal resolution for a square video is 600 by 600 pixels. The formats are the same as landscape, which is MOV or MP4.
#3 Instagram vertical video
This allows more creativity and you can add more text and graphics to your video. The ideal resolution is 600 by 750 pixels. You can increase the size maintaining the aspect ratio of 4:5.
#4 Instagram video stories
The ideal and Instagram-recommended resolution for video stories is 1800 by 1920 pixels. You can also set the minimum size, to boost loading time, which is 600 by 1067 pixels. The ratio for uploading Instagram video stories is 9:16. And the maximum upload size for any format is 4GB.
#5 Instagram carousel video
Uploading a single video isn’t enough? You can upload videos in a bulk up to 10 videos, at a time. Each video can be square in size starting from 600 by 600 pixels.
The format carousal videos support is only MP4, not MOV. And a single video can be as long as a minute. You can allow up to 10 videos on a single upload.
How to Maintain Instagram Video Quality?
Videos won’t work if they’re blurry or pixelated. Instagram is a famous platform to upload videos on. So they better be high-quality and appealing. Here’s what you can do to ensure a high-quality video.
- Always connect to a high-speed internet connection to upload a video.
- Stick to the proper Instagram video format and dimensions.
- To maintain resolution, use Google Drive or Airdrop to transfer files.
- Edit your videos on a photo editing app without compressing the file.
While a lot of influencers use expensive equipment to shoot videos. You can too showcase your talent in a professional manner. But make sure you stick to the recommended guidelines for the format. And that you do not compress the video before sharing.
Most social media apps, including Instagram, compress video to quicken loading time. As a video creator, you want to focus on creating the highest possible resolution and quality.